St. Werburgh’s Chapel, Mount Barker - Interior

Dublin Core

Title

St. Werburgh’s Chapel, Mount Barker - Interior

Subject

Anglican, Anglo-Saxon, bell tower, chapel, George Egerton-Warburton, Gothic, Gothic Revival, Mercia, Mount Barker, pointed arch, St Werburgh, St Werburgh’s Chapel, spire, WA, Western Australia

Description

St Werburgh’s Chapel is located on a farm close to the Western Australian town of Mount Barker. The chapel was built on the property of George Egerton-Warburton and was consecrated in 1874. The building was made of local materials and is in the Gothic Revival style, featuring a pointed arch entrance and a bell tower with a spire.

St Werburgh (c. 659-c. 699) was the daughter of King Wulfhere of Mercia, a kingdom in Anglo-Saxon England. Werburgh became a nun and founded or reformed a number of nunneries in central England.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

April 13, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“St. Werburgh’s Chapel, Mount Barker - Interior,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 23, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/968.