St Paul’s Church, Oatlands, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

St Paul’s Church, Oatlands, Tasmania

Subject

Brian Andrews, bellcote, blind window, buttress, Catholic, Gothic, Gothic Revival, lancet window, medieval village, Oatlands, St Paul’s Church, pointed arch, porch, Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, Pugin, Frederick Thomas, Tas, Tasmania, tracery, Bishop Robert William Willson.

Description

St Paul’s Church is a small stone Catholic church in the Tasmanian town of Oatlands. The church was designed by the English architect Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in 1843 and constructed in 1850-1. It opened on February 25, 1851. The church was constructed from a detailed model brought to Tasmania by the first Catholic bishop of Tasmania, Robert William Willson, who was a friend of Pugin’s. Hobart architect Frederick Thomas supervised the construction. The building is in the Gothic Revival style and features lancet windows with tracery, a pointed arch entrance, buttresses, a porch, and a bellcote. It represents Pugin’s idea of a medieval village church.

Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852) played a central role in establishing the Gothic Revival style and is best remembered for his work on the Houses of Parliament in London, and the interior of the Palace of Westminster.  

Further information on St Paul’s, including an essay
by Brian Andrews, can be found at: http://www.puginfoundation.org/

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

August 3, 2012

Rights

No copyright

Format

3xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph;JPEG

Files

Citation

“St Paul’s Church, Oatlands, Tasmania,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed September 17, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/951.