Loreto Chapel, Ballarat

Dublin Core

Title

Loreto Chapel, Ballarat

Subject

Arched window, arrow slit, Ballarat, Catholic, Children’s Chapel, church, Church of the Immaculate Conception, crenellation, education, Gothic, Loreto Chapel, Loreto College, Loreto Order, Loreto Sisters, Reed, Smart and Tappin, Roman Catholic, school, W.B. Tappin, tower, Vic, Victoria

Description

This photograph is of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, also known as the Children’s Chapel and Loreto Chapel. The building is part of Loreto College in the rural Victorian town of Ballarat. The chapel was built between 1898 and 1902 and was designed by W.B. Tappin of the firm Reed, Smart and Tappin. The stone building is in Gothic style and features pointed arched windows, crenellation, and two distinctive towers with arrow slits.

Loreto College was founded by the Catholic Loreto Sisters in 1875. The Loreto Order was founded in England in 1609.

For the college website see http://www.loreto.vic.edu.au/index.php

Creator

Dorey, Margaret

Date

January 30, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Loreto Chapel, Ballarat,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed August 22, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/941.