Royal Engineers Building, Hobart, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

Royal Engineers Building, Hobart, Tasmania

Subject

Arched windows, bay window, gables, Hobart, Royal Engineers Building, Royal Engineers Regiment, sculpture, Tas, Tasmania, Tudor.

Description

The Royal Engineers Building on Macquarrie Street in Hobart was built in 1846-7 and was the headquarters of the Royal Engineers Regiment until 1876. The two-storey stone building was built in the late medieval Tudor style and features two-storey bay windows, arched windows, gables, and stone carvings. Unfortunately stone carvings in the gables were lost during a renovation in 1979, at which time a portico was also destroyed.

Creator

Dorey, Margaret

Date

January 29, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Royal Engineers Building, Hobart, Tasmania,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed December 16, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/891.