Neo-gothic Windows, Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide

Dublin Core

Title

Neo-gothic Windows, Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide

Subject

Adelaide, arch, architecture, blind tracery, column, equilateral arch, gothic architecture, Gothic Revival, lancet arch, lancet window, leadlight, mullion, neo-gothic, pointed arch, quatrefoil, SA, South Australia, The University of Adelaide, tracery, university, university buildings, William McMinn (1844-1884), William Mitchell (1861-1962), window

Description

An image showing examples of neo-gothic windows at of the Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide. The lower row of windows shows sets of twin lancet windows separated by a stone column, while the upper level windows comprise pairs of trefoil pointed lancets, separated by a stone mullion and topped with a quatrefoil window, all contained within a single equilateral pointed arch.

About the Mitchell Building:

The Mitchell Building was designed by South Australian architect Willliam McMinn in the Victorian Academic Gothic style. It was completed between 1879 and 1881, and officially opened in 1882. The Mitchell Building was the first building on the North Terrace campus of The University of Adelaide and originally housed all of the university disciplines. It was named the Mitchell Building in 1961 in honour of Sir William Mitchell, who was Vice-Chancellor of the university from 1916-1942 and Chancellor from 1942-1948. Today it is used as an administrative hub. The Mitchell Building’s neo-gothic features include its steeply gabled roof, lancet windows, decorative stone tracery and the roof fleche/spire.

Creator

Dorey, Margaret

Date

5 July 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Neo-gothic Windows, Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed March 25, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/869.