Priest House, Mullewa

Dublin Core

Title

Priest House, Mullewa

Subject

Catholic, Catholicism, church, religion, domestic architecture, John Cyril Hawes, house, Monsignor Hawes, Mullewa, museum, Our Lady of Mt Carmel and Sts Peter and Paul, Priest House, Priest House Museum, Romanesque, semi-circular arch, veranda, WA, Western Australia

Description

The Priest House is in the small rural Western Australian town of Mullewa was designed by Monsignor John Cyril Hawes as his personal accommodation. The stone house was built in 1929-1930 after the adjacent church of Our Lady of Mt Carmel and Sts Peter and Paul was completed. Priest House is notable for its Romanesque-style veranda with semi-circular arches. The house is now the Priest House Museum dedicated to Monsignor Hawes.

For more on the architecture of Monsignor Hawes see John J. Taylor, Between Devotion and Design: The Architecture of John Cyril Hawes 1876-1956 (University of Western Australia Press, Nedlands, 2000).

Creator

Munro, Tony

Date

22 February 2002

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Priest House, Mullewa,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed March 21, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/848.