Roof Flèche, Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide

Dublin Core

Title

Roof Flèche, Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide

Subject

Adelaide, arch, architecture, blind tracery, flèche, gothic architecture, Gothic Revival, lancet arch, mullion, neo-gothic, quatrefoil, SA, South Australia, spire, The University of Adelaide, tracery, university, university buildings, William McMinn (1844-1884), William Mitchell (1861-1962)

Description

An image of the flèche (or narrow spire) that emerges from the roof of the Mitchell Building at The University of Adelaide. The ornate and decorative stonework - including the protrusions and patterning, the lancet openings, the mini-turrets and the blind quatrefoil designs - is typical of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture.

About the Mitchell Building:

The Mitchell Building was designed by South Australian architect Willliam McMinn in the Victorian Academic Gothic style. It was completed between 1879 and 1881, and officially opened in 1882. The Mitchell Building was the first building on the North Terrace campus of The University of Adelaide and originally housed all of the university disciplines. It was named the Mitchell Building in 1961 in honour of Sir William Mitchell, who was Vice-Chancellor of the university from 1916-1942 and Chancellor from 1942-1948. Today it is used as an administrative hub. The Mitchell Building’s other neo-gothic features include its steeply gabled roof, rows of twin lancet windows, decorative stone tracery and the entrance porch.

Creator

Dorey, Margaret

Date

5 July 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Roof Flèche, Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed December 8, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/813.