Medieval artifacts and replicas, St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney

Dublin Core

Title

Medieval artifacts and replicas, St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney

Subject

Anglo-Saxon, artefact, artefacts, artifact, artifacts, Edmund Blacket, Canterbury Cathedral, Canterbury cross, Gothic, Gothic Revival, New South Wales, Norman, NSW, replica, Sydney, Winchester Cathedral, Saint Andrew, St. Andrew, St Andrew, cathedral

Description

St Andrew’s Cathedral on George Street in central Sydney was consecrated in 1868, making it the oldest cathedral in Australia. The Anglican cathedral is in the Gothic Revival style and was designed by the English architect Edmund Blacket. These photographs show two medieval artifacts, and a replica of a medieval original, that were donated to the Cathedral in the early twentieth century. The Anglo-Saxon cross found in Canterbury, also known as the Canterbury cross, is a replica mounted on a stone taken from Canterbury Cathedral. Another mounted replica of the cross can be found at St Georges Cathedral in Perth (see item 333). The decorated stone originally formed part of a Norman arch in Canterbury Cathedral. The piece of oak came from the 1079 Norman foundations of Winchester Cathedral.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

6 February 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

3 x Digital Photographs; JPEGs

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

3 x Digital Photographs; JPEGs

Files

Citation

“Medieval artifacts and replicas, St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed March 21, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/808.