Baron Tennyson Coat of Arms, Government House, Sydney

Dublin Core

Title

Baron Tennyson Coat of Arms, Government House, Sydney

Subject

Baron Tennyson, Edward Blore, castle, crenellation, fleur-de-lis, Gothic, Gothic Revival, Government House, Governor-General, Greenway Building, Latin, Mortimer Lewis, lions, motto, New South Wales, NSW, Respiciens Prospiciens, Royal Botanic Gardens, sculpture, spear, stained glass, Sydney, Hallam Tennyson, tower, tracery, turret

Description

This photograph is of one of the coat of arms on the verandah of Government House in the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney. It features two lions covered in fleurs-de-lis, an emblem that became very popular during the medieval period and is most commonly associated with France. Above the shield between the lions is a hand holding a broken spear, The Latin motto Respiciens Prospiciens translates as ‘without malice’. The motto and broken spear suggest that this is the coat of arms of Baron (Hallam) Tennyson, son of the poet Alfred, who became the second Governor-General of Australia.

Government House was designed by the English architect Edward Blore and supervised by the Colonial Architect Mortimer Lewis. The House is in Gothic Revival style and resembles a castle, complementing the earlier castle-inspired stables (Greenway Building). The building, completed in 1845, is highly decorative and features extensive crenellation, turrets, towers, stained glass, and tracery.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

4 February 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Baron Tennyson Coat of Arms, Government House, Sydney,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed August 22, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/802.