Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide

Dublin Core

Title

Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide

Subject

Adelaide, arcade, arch, architecture, blind tracery, fleche, gable, gothic architecture, Gothic Revival, lancet arch, lancet window, mullion, neo-gothic, quatrefoil, SA, South Australia, spire, The University of Adelaide, tracery, turret, university, university buildings, William McMinn (1844-1884), William Mitchell (1861-1962)

Description

An image of the Mitchell Building at The University of Adelaide. The Mitchell Building was designed by South Australian architect Willliam McMinn, and is of a Victorian Academic Gothic architectural style. It was completed between 1879 and 1881, and officially opened in 1882. The Mitchell Building was the first building on the North Terrace campus of The University of Adelaide and originally housed all of the university disciplines. It was renamed the Mitchell Building in 1961 in honour of Sir William Mitchell, who was Vice-Chancellor of the university from 1916-1942 and Chancellor from 1942-1948. Today it is used as an administrative hub. The Mitchell Building’s notable neo-gothic features include the steeply gabled roof, rows of twin lancet windows, decorative stone tracery, entrance porch and the stone fleche/spire.

Creator

Dorey, Margaret

Date

5 July 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Mitchell Building, The University of Adelaide,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 27, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/794.