Romanesque Arched Doorway, Former Magistrate’s Court, Melbourne

Dublin Core

Title

Romanesque Arched Doorway, Former Magistrate’s Court, Melbourne

Subject

arch, architecture, building, columns, Court of Petty Sessions, George B H Austin, hood moulding, law, law courts, magistrate, Magistrate’s Court, masonry, Melbourne, neo-romanesque, Norman Revival, Public Works Department, RMIT, Romanesque architecture, rounded arches, semi-circular arches, stonework, Supreme Court, Swanson Brothers, university, university buildings, Victoria

Description

An image of the entrance doorway to the former Magistrate’s Court Building in Melbourne’s CBD, on the corner of La Trobe Street and Russell Street. The Former Magistrate’s Court Building is a three-storey building of French Romanesque design. As is common of neo-romanesque or Norman Revival architecture, the entrance is strongly modelled; the already large doorway is amplified by archivolts, in this case a band of five semi-circular arches, column jambs and decorative hood moulding.

The Former Magistrate’s Court building was designed by Department of Public Works architect George H B Austin and built by the Swanson Brothers. It replaced a two-storey brick building on the site that previously housed the Supreme Court and then the Court of Petty Sessions. Construction of the new building began in 1911 and was completed in 1914. The Court of Petty Sessions, later renamed the Melbourne Magistrate’s court, operated from the building from 1914 until 1995. It is now owned by the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) and is used for lectures.

Creator

McEwan, Joanne

Date

6 May 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Romanesque Arched Doorway, Former Magistrate’s Court, Melbourne,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed January 17, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/713.