Rear View of St. Mary's Catholic Church, Leederville, WA

Dublin Core

Title

Rear View of St. Mary's Catholic Church, Leederville, WA

Subject

St. Mary, St Mary, Saint Mary, Mary, saint, saints, architecture, architect, church, churches, Catholic, Catholicism, Christian, Christianity, religion, religious, Gothic, Gothic revival, building, Parish, Leederville, Perth, Western Australia, WA, Aaronmore, Sisters of Mercy, Father Maloney, E. Hamilton, E.T. Russell, Archbishop Clune, spires, spire, lancet window, lancet windows, windows, window, arch, arches

Description

An image of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Leederville, Western Australia. Designed by the architect E. Hamilton and built under the supervision of E.T. Russell, the foundation stone of the church was laid by Archbishop P.J. Clune on the 6th of May 1923.

St. Mary's embodies features that are typical of the Gothic Revival style of architecture, which became prominent from the 1840s in the United Kingdom, Australia, and other British colonies. As an architectural style, it is based on the close examination of medieval structures, and a concern with 'authenticity' of design. It is often seen to be symbolic of conservative values such as, continuity, stability, religious authority and tradition. The spire, vaulted ceilings, lancet windows and ornate stonework of this building are features which are typical of the Gothic Revival style.

Creator

Carter, Bree

Date

29 November 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Rear View of St. Mary's Catholic Church, Leederville, WA,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed April 29, 2017, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/654.