Large Traceried Window, The Redemptorist Church, North Perth, Western Australia

Dublin Core

Title

Large Traceried Window, The Redemptorist Church, North Perth, Western Australia

Subject

arch, architect, architecture, blind tracery, Catholic church, cement dressing, church, church building, Cottesloe limestone, crenellations, decorated gothic, Federation Gothic Style, gothic architecture, James Cavanagh, lancet arch, leadlights, limestone, Michael Cavanagh, monastery, mullion, neo-gothic, North Perth, porch, quatrefoil, Redemptorist monastery, Redemptorist Order, St Paul, St Peter, stained glass, tracery, turrets, W. Fairweather, Western Australia, WA, window, windows

Description

A view of the Redemptorist Church in North Perth, Western Australia. This image is of the large traceried window containing five stained glass and lead light panels, which dominate the church’s appearance.

This Federation Gothic Style church and the adjoining monastery were designed by Michael and James Cavanagh in 1902 for the Redemptorist Order of the Catholic Church, which had been newly established in WA in 1899. The church was opened by Bishop Gibney and Abbot Torres (from New Norcia) on 13 September 1903 and is dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. An additional monastery wing was added in 1912 and a chapel and transept in 1922. The monastery and church together were added to the WA Heritage register in 2006.

Creator

McEwan, Joanne

Date

4 February 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Large Traceried Window, The Redemptorist Church, North Perth, Western Australia,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 22, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/599.