Decorative Stonework, Bonython Hall, The University of Adelaide

Dublin Core

Title

Decorative Stonework, Bonython Hall, The University of Adelaide

Subject

Adelaide, arch, arches, architecture, arrow-slit, blind arch, ceremonial hall, ceremony, crenellation, gable, graduation, great hall, hall, heraldic shield, heraldry, lancet arch, limestone, lion, neo-gothic, perpendicular style, quatrefoil, Sir John Langdon Bonython (1848-1939), tower, tracery, The University of Adelaide, university, university buildings, window, windows

Description

A close-up image of decorative stonework at the entrance to Bonython Hall at The University of Adelaide in South Australia. Bonython Hall is a neo-gothic building that was constructed from Murray Bridge limestone between 1933 and 1936. The entrance facing North Terrace features three large lancet-arched doorways, a late-gothic perpendicular style window and stone-carved decorations such as the quatrefoil patterns above the doors, the crenellation effect and the two lion statues bearing heraldic shields seen here. The construction of the Hall was funded by a donation of £50,000 from Sir John Langdon Bonython, who was a prominent South Australian benefactor and a member of The University of Adelaide Council from 1916 until his death in 1939. The building houses a ‘great hall’, which is used for ceremonies and large functions such as graduations, examinations and public lectures.

Creator

Dorey, Margaret

Date

3 July 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Decorative Stonework, Bonython Hall, The University of Adelaide,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 23, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/459.