Stella Maris College, Geraldton, WA

Dublin Core

Title

Stella Maris College, Geraldton, WA

Subject

Bishop Kelly, Catholic, college, college tower, crenellation, Geraldton, Geraldton Presentation College, Geraldton Presentation Sisters, Gothic, harp, Mother Brigid, niche, Presentation Sisters, Ireland, round tower, Stella Maris College, turrets, WA, Western Australia, William Kelly

Description

Images of Stella Maris College in Geraldton. The purpose-built college for the Geraldton Presentation Sisters was completed in 1912, after the foundation stone had been laid by Bishop William Kelly in 1911. The building was designed by Mother Brigid who had entered the convent in 1895. The style of the brick building is primarily colonial but has a grand Gothic-style stone entrance featuring a niche, four turrets and crenellation. The left-hand side of the building also features crenellation. The logo above the entrance is an interesting mix of Australian and medieval images, including an emu and kangaroo, along with an Irish harp and a medieval round tower most commonly found in Irish churchyards.

Further information is available in Ruth Marchant James, From Cork to Capricorn: A History of the Presentation Sisters in Western Australia, 1891-1991 (Congregation of the Presentation Sisters of Western Australia, 1996) and The Call and the Vision: the Presentation Sisters, 100 Years in Western Australia, 1891-1991 (Congregation of the Presentation Sisters of Western Australia, 1991).

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

28 May 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photographs

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

2 x Digital Photographs

Files

Citation

“Stella Maris College, Geraldton, WA,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed June 19, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/344.