Western Façade, St John the Evangelist Anglican, Fremantle, Western Australia

Dublin Core

Title

Western Façade, St John the Evangelist Anglican, Fremantle, Western Australia

Subject

Anglican, Anglican Church, arch, architect, architecture, buttress, church, church building, Evangelicalism, Fremantle, gothic architecture, J. J. Harwood & Son, King’s Square, lancet window, lancet, arch, lead-light windows, limestone, masonry, neo-gothic, gothic, gothic revival, gothic building, building, porch, rose window, stained glass window, W. Smith, Western Australia, window

Description

A view of the western façade of St John the Evangelist Anglican Church in Fremantle, Western Australia. Located in King’s Square, this church was designed by W. Smith and built by J. J. Harwood and Son to replace an older church that had served the Anglican congregation in Fremantle since 1843. The foundation stone was laid in 1878 and the new building consecrated in 1882. Built in a Victorian neo-gothic style, the western façade of the church is notable for its high gable, rose window and the row of symmetrical lancet windows stretching across the width of the building.

Creator

McEwan, Joanne

Source

4 February 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph

Files

Citation

“Western Façade, St John the Evangelist Anglican, Fremantle, Western Australia,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed June 19, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/288.