Bell Turret, St John the Evangelist Anglican, Fremantle, WA

Dublin Core

Title

Bell Turret, St John the Evangelist Anglican, Fremantle, WA

Subject

Anglican, Anglican Church, arch, architect, architecture, bell, bell turret, church, church architecture, church building, Evangelicalism, Fremantle, gothic architecture, J. J. Harwood & Son, King’s Square, lancet arch, lancet window, limestone, neo-gothic, gothic, gothic building, building, gothic revival, quatrefoil, W. Smith, Western Australia, window

Description

A view of the bell turret at St John the Evangelist Anglican Church in Fremantle, Western Australia. It was added to the existing church structure, c.1906. In England, bell turrets were often added to parish churches that did not have adjoining bell towers by the twelfth century. See Hubert Pragnell, The Styles of English Architecture, London: B. T. Batsford Ltd, 1984, p.258.

Located in King’s Square in the centre of Fremantle, St John the Evangelist Anglican Church is a neo-gothic building that was designed by W. Smith and constructed by J. J. Harwood and Son. The foundation stone was laid in 1878 and the building was consecrated in 1882. The church replaced an older building that had served the Anglican congregation in Fremantle since 1843, and which was demolished soon after the completion of St John’s.

Creator

McEwan, Joanne

Date

4 February 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph

Files

Citation

“Bell Turret, St John the Evangelist Anglican, Fremantle, WA,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed June 19, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/280.