Buttresses and Lancet Windows, Christ Church, Claremont, Western Australia

Dublin Core

Title

Buttresses and Lancet Windows, Christ Church, Claremont, Western Australia

Subject

Anglican, Anglican church, arch, architect, architecture, bell tower, blind arch, buttress, church, church building, Church of England, Claremont, Cottesloe limestone, gable, gothic architecture, Gothic Revival style, J. J. Talbot Hobbs, lancet arch, lancet windows, lead-light windows, limestone, masonry, gothic revival, gothic, neo-gothic, rose window, stained glass, T. W. L. Powell, tower, tracery, Western Australia

Description

A view of the stained-glass lancet windows and stone buttresses on the southern wall of Christ Church, Claremont in Western Australia. Christ Church is an Anglican Church that was designed by Perth architect J. J. Talbot Hobbs and built in a Gothic Revival style. The foundation stone was laid on 10 September 1892, and the original church building (consisting of the Sanctuary and the eastern four bays of the nave) was completed in February 1893. The nave was extended in 1901, and in 1909 two aisles were added. Further extensions took place in 1938 when the vestry, porch and square bell tower at the western end were completed under the supervision of architect T. W. L. Powell. At this time, the coloured lead-light rose window was also added to the western wall. The single and coupled lancet windows are characteristic of gothic architecture, as are the protruding stone buttresses and the decorative stone tracery of the blind arches, the roses above the door and the acanthus leaves at the ends of the hood mouldings.

Creator

McEwan, Joanne

Date

04 February 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photographs

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

2 x Digital Photograph

Files

Citation

“Buttresses and Lancet Windows, Christ Church, Claremont, Western Australia,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed August 26, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/180.