(Former) Bank of New South Wales, Sydney

Dublin Core

Title

(Former) Bank of New South Wales, Sydney

Subject

James Bull Alderson, bank, Bank of New South Wales, column, cupola, moulding, New South Wales, NSW, Varney Parkes, Romanesque, Romanesque Revival, semi-circular arch, Sydney, tower

Description

This former Bank of New South Wales building is on the corner of Broadway and Regent Streets in the inner city suburb of Chippendale. It was designed by architects Varney Parkes and James Bull Anderson and was built in 1894. The ornate brick building with moulded plaster work is in the Romanesque Revival style. It has prominent semi-circular arched windows and doorways, multiple columns, and elaborate plasterwork incorporating floral designs. Two rounded corner towers flank the main entrance and end in cupolas on top of the roof.

For the biography of one of the architects see http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/parkes-varney-7959

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

29 November 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

2 x Digital Photographs; JPEGs

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

2 x Digital Photographs; JPEGs

Files

Citation

“(Former) Bank of New South Wales, Sydney,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed December 16, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1304.