Chapel of St. Mary and St. George, Guildford

Dublin Core

Title

Chapel of St. Mary and St. George, Guildford

Subject

Anglican, Anglicanism, buttress, Cecil Oliverson, chapel, Church of England, collegiate chapel, ecclesiastical building, education, gothic architecture, Gothic Perpendicular style, gothic revival, Guildford, Guildford Grammar School, lancet window, neo-gothic, Perth, Reverend Percy Henn, Saint George, Saint Mary, school, Sir Walter Tapper, St. George, St. Mary, tower, tracery, village green, WA, Western Australia

Description

An image of the entrance to the Anglican Chapel of St. Mary and St. George, featuring its large traceried window, solid buttressing and twin towers.

About the Chapel of St. Mary and St. George:

The Chapel of St. Mary and St. George was constructed for, and continues to be used by, Guildford Grammar School. It was designed by prominent English gothic revival architect Sir Walter Tapper and is built in a Gothic Perpendicular Revival style. Plans to build a chapel to service the school were proposed shortly after the appointment of headmaster Reverend Percy Henn in 1909. Penn appealed for funds and managed to secure the benefaction of London businessman and Philanthropist Cecil Oliverson, which covered the costs of building and furnishing the chapel. Building began in 1912 and the chapel was completed and consecrated in 1914. The replication of a ‘village green’ setting, in which the chapel is situated on a flat expanse of grass and framed by the school’s other buildings, is notable.

Creator

Carter, Bree

Date

2010

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph

Files

Citation

“Chapel of St. Mary and St. George, Guildford,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed June 26, 2017, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/13.