John Storey Memorial Dispensary, Chippendale, Sydney, New South Wales

Dublin Core

Title

John Storey Memorial Dispensary, Chippendale, Sydney, New South Wales

Subject

Blackletter script, Chippendale, clinic, crenel, dispensary, four-centred arch, Gothic script, hospital, memorial, New South Wales, NSW, parapet, John Storey, John Storey Memorial Dispensary, Sydney, tower, Tudor arch

Description

The John Storey Memorial Dispensary is on the corner of Regent and Lee Streets in the inner-city Sydney suburb of Chippendale. The building was completed as in 1926 as a memorial to former New South Wales Premier John Storey. It was built by Sydney Hospital to help the poorer citizens of the area. It is now a methadone clinic. The John Storey Memorial Dispensary is a medieval-styled building with a central tower and crenelated parapets on the tower and down both sides of the building. It has four-centred, or Tudor, arches on the door, doorway and windows. The inscription above the doorway uses Blackletter, or Gothic, script, a script first used in the twelfth century.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

17 December 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“John Storey Memorial Dispensary, Chippendale, Sydney, New South Wales,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed June 16, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1297.