(Former) St Peter’s Catholic Church, Kempton, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

(Former) St Peter’s Catholic Church, Kempton, Tasmania

Subject

Buttress, Catholic, crenellation, Monsignor Gilleran, house, Kempton, parapet, pointed arch, Romanesque, Romanesque Revival, St Peter’s Church, semi-circular arch, spire, stained glass, Tas, Tasmania, tower, Alan Cameron Walker.

Description

The former St Peter’s Catholic Church is in the small Tasmanian town of Kempton. The foundation stone for the red brick church was laid by Monsignor Gilleran in 1918 and the building was completed in 1923. St Peter’s was designed by architect Alan Cameron Walker (1864-1931) in the Romanesque Revival style. It features semi-circular arches on the doorways, windows, and decorative details. The building also has corner buttresses, a tower with a parapet and corner crenels, stained glass windows, and a spire. It is now a private residence.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

November 21, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

2xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“(Former) St Peter’s Catholic Church, Kempton, Tasmania ,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed November 21, 2018, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1230.