Halberd on Display at Gothic Revival Ruin in Central NSW

Dublin Core

Title

Halberd on Display at Gothic Revival Ruin in Central NSW

Subject

Medieval Shoppe, NSW, New South Wales, Gooloogong, church, churches, ruin, ruined, ruins, architecture, Gothic, Gothic Revival, Catholic, Catholicism, arches, arch, St Malachy, Saint Malachy, St. Malachy, halberd, weapon, weapons, weaponry, replica, replicas, Swiss Guard, Switzerland.

Description

An image of a replica of a medieval halberd. The image was taken at the abandoned Catholic church of St. Malachy in Gooloogong, New South Wales. It was featured on the Facebook site for the Medieval Shoppe, who design historical replicas of swords, armour and other weapons.

Halberds were especially popular with infantry in Switzerland in the fouteenth and fifteenth century. The Swiss Guard at the Vatican still use ceremonial halberds.

The church, which fell out of use in 1914, was also used as an infants' school, but was later abandoned and has been ever since. The building possesses many Gothic architectural features, such as a vaulted ceiling, and arched doorways and windows.

Creator

The Medieval Shoppe

Publisher

The Medieval Shoppe, Facebook page

Date

Accessed 26/11/2012

Rights

Image used with the permission of The Medieval Shoppe, 2012

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Files

Citation

“Halberd on Display at Gothic Revival Ruin in Central NSW,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed November 18, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1223.