St Mary’s Church of England, Kempton, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

St Mary’s Church of England, Kempton, Tasmania

Subject

Anglican, James Blackburn, buttress, Church of England, Gothic, Gothic Revival, Kempton, lancet window, pointed arch, Romanesque, St Mary’s Church of England, semi-circular arch, Tas, Tasmania, tower.

Description

St Mary’s Church of England (now Anglican) is in the small Tasmanian town of Kempton. The foundation stone for the sandstone church was laid in 1839 and it opened in 1844. It is thought that the church was designed by the convict architect James Blackburn (1803-1854). The church is in the Gothic Revival style and features lancet windows (the small ones at the front are concreted up), including groups of three lancet windows at the building’s east and west, buttresses, and a pointed arch door and doorway. The square tower is unfinished, resulting in the bell being housed in a smaller structure on its top. Surprisingly, this addition has three Romanesque semi-circular arches on each side rather than the Gothic pointed arches used elsewhere on the building.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

November 21, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

2xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“St Mary’s Church of England, Kempton, Tasmania ,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed August 18, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1215.