The Abbotsford Convent, Abbotsford, Victoria

Dublin Core

Title

The Abbotsford Convent, Abbotsford, Victoria

Subject

Abbotsford, Abbotsford Convent, architecture, Caen, convent, Convent of The Good Shepherd, Federation Gothic, French medieval architecture, gable, Gothic architecture, industrial school, lancet arch, Magdalen Asylum, Melbourne, neo-Gothic, pebble-dash, reformatory, Sisters of the Good Shepherd, spire, VIC, Victoria.

Description

The Abbotsford Convent, located in the inner city Melbourne suburb of Abbotsford, operated as a convent, reformatory and Magdalen Asylum from 1863 until the mid-1970s. The convent was run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, a Catholic religious order who, in addition to taking standard vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, also sought to save souls. Eleven buildings of varying design stand on the 6.8 hectare site, of which the Convent building is particularly notable for the medieval French influence of its architecture. Constructed in 1900 to the design of Reed Smart and Tappin, the building is based on the gothic design of the Order’s mother house in Caen, and features steep gables, a western spire and a pebble-dash finish with contrasting red brickwork. The Convent now functions as an arts and cultural precinct.

For more information, see The Abbotsford Convent website: http://www.abbotsfordconvent.com.au/

Source

The Abbotsford Convent Website: http://www.abbotsfordconvent.com.au/

Date

2010

Rights

The Abbotsford Convent

Format

Hyperlink

Files

Citation

“The Abbotsford Convent, Abbotsford, Victoria,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 22, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1073.