Auld Kirk, Sidmouth, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

Auld Kirk, Sidmouth, Tasmania

Subject

Auld Kirk, bellcote, convict, Reverend James Garrett, Gothic, Gothic Revival, lancet window, Reverend Alexander McKenzie, Old Norse, pointed arch, Presbyterian, James Reid, Scots, Sidmouth, Tas, Tasmania, Vikings, West Tamar Presbyterian Church.

Description

The West Tamar Presbyterian Church, commonly referred to as the Auld Kirk (Scots for old church), is located on the banks of the Tamar River in the small Tasmanian town of Sidmouth. Construction of the church began in 1843 with the support of the first Presbyterian minister in the area, Reverend Alexander McKenzie, and James Reid. McKenzie’s replacement, Reverend James Garrett, became the first minister to take a service in the church in 1846. The church was built of stone rubble by convict and free labour and it is in the Gothic Revival style. It features lancet windows and a pointed arched entrance. The church was badly damaged by fire in 1900 and was not restored until 1913, which is when the present brick bellcote may have been added. 'Kirk' itself is a medieval word and meant 'church' in Old Norse. It was introduced to Scotland by Viking settlers.

The church website can be visited at http://westtamarpresbyterianchurch.org.au/

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

September 14, 2012

Rights

No copyright

Format

2xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Auld Kirk, Sidmouth, Tasmania,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed October 15, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1057.