Franklin Village Chapel, Franklin Village, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

Franklin Village Chapel, Franklin Village, Tasmania

Subject

Anglican, bellcote, chapel, Franklin Village, Franklin Village Chapel, Gothic, Gothic Revival, St James Church, Launceston, Bishop Francis Nixon, pointed arch, school, Tas, Tasmania.

Description

Consecrated and renamed St James Anglican Church in 1926, this building is in Franklin Village, Tasmania, was originally known as Franklin Village Chapel and is on what used to be the main road between Hobart and Launceston. The rendered brick chapel was opened in 1845 by Tasmania’s first bishop, Francis Nixon, and it operated as a school from 1847. The modest building is in the Gothic Revival style and features a bellcote and pointed-arch windows. Franklin Village is now virtually an outer suburb of Launceston.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

September 14, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

2xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Franklin Village Chapel, Franklin Village, Tasmania,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 20, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1054.