Browse Items (32 total)

This Congregational Church is in the town of Richmond, Tasmania. It was built in 1873 after the previous church, built in 1844, was damaged in a storm. The sandstone building is in the Gothic Revival style with buttresses, and a pointed arch doorway…

St Luke the Physician’s Anglican Church is in the town of Richmond, Tasmania. The sandstone building was designed by architect John Lee Archer and built by convict labour. It was completed in 1836 and consecrated by Bishop Broughton in 1838.…

St John the Evangelist’s Church is in the village of Richmond, Tasmania, and is the oldest continuously used Catholic church in Australia. The present building is an amalgam of two designs. The earliest building was designed by the English…

St Patrick’s Catholic Church is in the village of Colebrook, Tasmania. The sandstone building was built in 1855-7 under the supervision of architect Frederick Thomas from a detailed scale model made by the English architect Augustus Welby…

St Barnabas Church is in the town of Scottsdale, Tasmania. The weatherboard building was built as a Church of England (now Anglican) church in 1892. The church is in the Gothic Revival style with a steeply pitched roof, porch, small spire, and an…

The small brick chapel with a shingle roof on Brickendon Estate, near Longford, is dated by its stained glass windows to the 1850s. It is in the centre of the farm village and was built for the religious observances of the farm workers and their…

Grindelwald is a Swiss-inspired town created by Roelf Voss in northern Tasmania, and is home to the Tamar Valley Resort. The town includes the Swiss Village, opened in 1985. The complex includes a small traditional chapel on the banks of the man-made…

The Uniting Church in Hadspen, Tasmania, was built as a Wesleyan chapel in 1874, and became a Methodist church in 1924. The chapel was probably designed by Mr Monds, described as the ‘clerk of the works’ in a newspaper article in The…