Browse Items (197 total)

The former St Peter’s Catholic Church is in the small Tasmanian town of Kempton. The foundation stone for the red brick church was laid by Monsignor Gilleran in 1918 and the building was completed in 1923. St Peter’s was designed by architect…

Novaro’s Italian Restaurant is in Brisbane Street in the northern Tasmanian city of Launceston. The photograph shows the sign for the restaurant, which features a Lion of St Mark. This particular version is, with the addition of a halo,…

The Blue Place is a community hall housed in a former Presbyterian Church in the small Tasmanian town of Kempton. The timber church was built in 1886 on land donated by James Hadden (d. 1911), whose mother Jane had been a Presbyterian convict…

The former St Matthew’s Presbyterian Church is in the suburb of Glenorchy in Hobart, Tasmania. The church is in the Romanesque Revival style and is one of the earliest remaining Romanesque Revival buildings in Australia. The style is evident in…

The 1886 malt kiln of the Esk Brewery of James Boag and Son (Boag’s Brewery) is in the northern Tasmanian city of Launceston. The façade is in the Queen Anne architectural style and includes a number of medieval features, such as…

St Mary’s Church of England (now Anglican) is in the small Tasmanian town of Kempton. The foundation stone for the sandstone church was laid in 1839 and it opened in 1844. It is thought that the church was designed by the convict architect James…

The former St Matthew’s Presbyterian Church is in the suburb of Glenorchy in Hobart, Tasmania. It was designed by the convict architect James Blackburn (1803-1854) in 1839. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir John Franklin (1786-1847)…

This sculpture of St George and the Dragon is at the top of the 1886 malt kiln of Boag’s Brewery in the northern Tasmanian city of Launceston. St George is depicted as a medieval knight wearing armour and a helmet with an open visor and a…