Browse Items (7 total)

This small round tower is part of the Military Complex at the penal colony of Port Arthur, Tasmania. The complex is situated in a prominent position overlooking the harbour. It is the third military complex on the site and was built in 1847, with the…

The Military Complex at the penal colony of Port Arthur, Tasmania, is situated in a prominent position overlooking the harbour. It is the thirdmilitary complex on the site and was built in 1847, with the central tower built in 1836. Both were built…

The well preserved Guard Tower at Port Arthur, Tasmania, was a central part of the penal colony’s Military Complex. The tower was built in 1836 during the rule of Commandant Charles O’Hara Booth (1800-1851). It was built with convict…

The foundation stone for the Convict Church at the former penal settlement of Port Arthur, Tasmania, was laid by Lieutenant Governor George Arthur (1784-1854) in 1836. The church was possibly designed by the Deputy Commissariat Officer Thomas…

The foundation stone for the Convict Church at the former penal settlement of Port Arthur, Tasmania, was laid by Lieutenant Governor George Arthur (1784-1854) in 1836. The church was possibly designed by the Deputy Commissariat Officer Thomas…

The article ‘The bride wore… a sword’ by reporter Hannah Martin appeared in the online version of the Tasmanian newspaper The Mercury. The article reports on a medieval ‘Celtic’-style wedding of two members of the…

This atmospheric engraving from 1887 in The Illustrated Australian News depicts the gothic architectual style, including crenellation and turrets, of the 'Old Convict Church' at the penal settlement of Port Arthur in Tasmania.