Browse Items (3 total)

The Military Complex at the penal colony of Port Arthur, Tasmania, is situated in a prominent position overlooking the harbour. It is the thirdmilitary complex on the site and was built in 1847, with the central tower built in 1836. Both were built…

The well preserved Guard Tower at Port Arthur, Tasmania, was a central part of the penal colony’s Military Complex. The tower was built in 1836 during the rule of Commandant Charles O’Hara Booth (1800-1851). It was built with convict…

The foundation stone for the Convict Church at the former penal settlement of Port Arthur, Tasmania, was laid by Lieutenant Governor George Arthur (1784-1854) in 1836. The church was possibly designed by the Deputy Commissariat Officer Thomas…