Browse Items (7 total)

This stained glass window is one of many in the Cloisters of St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart. It is a memorial to Charles Henry Bromby (1814-1907), Bishop of Tasmania from 1864-1882. The tracery window features lancet windows of Sts Alban…

St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart, was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907)in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style, with further revisions in 1891. As the foundation stone for the Cloisters and Tower were not laid…

St David’s Cathedral, Hobart, was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style, with further revisions in 1891. As the foundation stone for the Cloisters and Tower were not laid until…

An image of The Cloisters building in Perth. The brick building was designed by Richard Rosch Jewell for Perth’s first Anglican Bishop, Mathew Hale. It was built by convicts in 1858 as the colony’s first secondary school, the Perth Church of…

This article provides a description of Winthrop Hall and the Hackett Buildings at the University of Western Australia by the architect, Rodney Alsop, shortly after they were opened in 1932. Alsop describes the guidelines he was set, namely that there…

This article from The Canberra Times in 1941 provides an update on the building of the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Construction had begun in 1937, and the Memorial was set to be the largest stone building in the southern hemisphere. A…

This photograph of a replica medieval monastery was featured in Melbourne newspaper The Argus in 1937. It was constructed by student teachers at the Teachers Training College as part of an exhibition of works, and was designed as a modelling task for…