Browse Items (39 total)

St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church in Subiaco, Western Australia was designed by architect Edgar L. B. Henderson and built by C. W. Arnot between 1933 and 1937. It is constructed from red brick and pressed cement in an inter-war gothic style…

St Francis Xavier Church in Geraldton, Western Australia, designed by Monsignor John Cyril Hawes, has a mixture of Romanesque and Spanish mission style architecture. The first stone was laid in 1916, but the cathedral was not completed until…

This altarpiece from the New Chapel at New Norcia contains the figures of St Benedict and his sister St Scholastica. The Benedictine community at New Norcia follow the Rule of St Benedict, a book of precepts or guidelines for monastic living…

The front façade of the Abbey Church, New Norcia. The original church building was constructed from stones and plaster. In 1908, New Norcia’s second Abbot, Bishop Fulgentius Torres, added this Italian Renaissance style façade…

St Ildephonsus College, New Norcia. St Ildephonsus opened in 1913 as a boarding school for boys. It was staffed by Marist Brothers until 1965, when the Benedictines took over. The school closed in 1991 and is now used primarily as a venue for…

St Gertrude’s College, New Norcia. St Gertrude’s opened in 1908 and originally functioned as a convent boarding school for girls. It was staffed by Josephite sisters, the first of whom were sent to New Norcia by Mary Mackillop at the…